Saturday, September 12, 2009

Free website tools Scam!

I was taken aback by a discovery I just made.

I am trying to help a friend do some basic SEO stuff to her website. She told me that the site was built using a free website builder tool, which I thought--ok, cool.

You got to start somewhere, and having a site online is better than not.

But I started with adding a keyword right title tag to her site, the most obvious first place to add some SEO stuff. When I previewed the site it said something completely different promoting something totally un-related to what her website was promoting.

I double checked the code and nowhere could I find where this mysterious meta-tag stuff was being added. Even on a fresh clean html page that had nothing on it, it had this mysterious meta code.

My only thought is that her "cheap" web hosting and awesome "free" web builder tool was dynamically putting this stuff in.

Which in my opinion is a perfect example of 'you get what you pay for' lesson. If it's too good to be true then it probably is...

I recommended that she host with us, and completely redesign the site since we were abandoning this one. So, we can start with a clean slate that will have fresh/clean/targeted content, branded in a way that will try and make her website aggressive instead of passive...

I thought I would share this info so the next time you are considering a cheap free tool, over hiring a professional graphic designer, it may not be the cheaper solution. Because not only will you waste time and money with the cheaper solutions but you will have to basically redo it all anyway...

Thoughts? Questions? Comments? Experiences? I'd love to hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment