Saturday, October 3, 2009

Design from the heart | Pro-Bono Work

I have a topic that I feel is important to share.

While reading it I couldn't help but agree with a lot of the comments they made in terms of feeling like great causes deserve to have professional branding and graphic design even if their budget can't afford it. I couldn't help but to remember an award winning agency that I worked at after college, they did a bunch of pro-bono work, it felt good working on it, we usually did the "best" work because the client was grateful and really didn't fight us on the creativity. I remember thinking this was a great way to do "award winning work."

And now as I struggle to try and get my business back off the ground from the results of this damn economy, I can't help but to question well if I did more pro-bono work could I generate more business? By having the exposure from these causes and elevating the quality of work in my case studies.

My only fear is that this work takes a tremendous amount of time to do, and without any "real" money coming in how am I supposed to survive?

I'd love to hear everyones take on the subject.

Pro-Bono or Not to Pro-Bono that is the question?

This topic is inspired by a design firm's blog about them doing pro-bono work for non profit organizations.



Now here is an article talking about a volunteer or pro-bono concept that I could see being beneficial. It's a grant to help the homeless to become business owners. Which to me is an awesome idea, if I donate or discount my fees to the point where we can help these start ups become successful, once they become successful they could become customers...


Thanks to thesoulawakener for weighing in on the subject here is the link to the blog they referenced

1 comment:

  1. Something tells me that for people who come to business with a desire to help and a passion to make a difference but without always cashing in... will be rewarded by business in manners that others won't. Mark Silver (of the Heart of your business) has recently written a blog explaining about the possibility of having sliding scales and how that might be a very good business model despite it being counter-intuitive for "classic" business people.

    As a spiritual lawyer, I can tell you that if your business promotes that "heart" connection, you will never have to worry about paying the bills.

    ReplyDelete